Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Back in Action

I know I'm posting this very late in the evening, when I meant to have it done days ago. I know I've been completely MIA lately. Would you like to know what I've been working on?


I just finished hanging my first solo show, Daughters of Eve, which opens tomorrow at the Harris Fine Arts Center on the BYU campus. I have been working on the concept for this show for quite a while and the last two months of my life have basically been devoted to executing these photographs. I do hope you'll come and see it. It will be on display until March 30th.

There's an opening reception tomorrow (Wednesday, March 18th) from 6-8pm. There will be delicious refreshments, great people, and artwork - the quality of which you may decide for yourself.

And of course, yours truly will be there. If you're in Provo - I'd love to see you. I promise more pictures of the project later, but if I put them all up now, you'd have no reason to see them in person.

Here is the artist statement if you'd like to know more:

Daughters of Eve
is a collection of photographs that seeks to honor Eve and foster respect and admiration for women everywhere.

Eve, as the first woman, represents the essence of femininity to me. She was the crowning creation of our Heavenly Father, though her role has been widely misunderstood throughout history. Eve has been accused of great pride and is generally considered the weaker of the pair. She is often represented as a temptress – a fallen creature who led to the downfall of all mankind. All of these misconceptions have contributed to the disparaging of the female sex as a whole.

By the light of the restored gospel, we are able to understand Eve’s divine role in the Father’s plan. She made a choice that set in motion the existence of mankind. She experienced the sweet and bitter in life, always seeking to know God’s will. I honor her decision, I admire her bravery, and I stand in awe of her beautiful daughters who continue on in the legacy she began.

10 comments:

Shooting Starchild said...

Will you have the photographs on display anywhere online (for those of us who can't make it to Utah)? I would love to see them!

Kelli Nicole said...

SO sad I can't be there. Have a great time! And anyone who IS going, enjoy it triple for me.

John and Rachel Erickson said...

Beautifully said. I only wish that I could be there to see it. Post the rest of the pictures soon. You are amazing!

Michael said...

I looked at your show today in the HFAC. Beautiful. I will see you at the opening tonight! Congrats Whitney!

Deb said...

I'm so excited for your show! This photo looks great and I can't wait to see the other ones!

Katie said...

Oh Whitney!!! I am so excited to see the rest of the photos! I love the artistic statement. Lovely. What a fabulous topic.

Weston Colton Photo said...

Congrats on the opening and your first solo show! I am so sorry I couldn't make it to the opening.

elise L photography said...

We love it !!! Great job Whitney!

Lindsey S Briggs said...

whitney, your images are so beautiful. I love the sensitivity to lighting and subjects that is so characteristic of your style. It's a beautiful show and I love the message they communicate.

MBlack said...

Oh my gosh. {: Loved your works. As always. You are awfully amazing. :D