Wednesday, September 23, 2009

San Jacinto Monument

So, when you go to Texas you will be amazed at how many places claim to have had an important part to play in the war for Texas Independence. Every teeny tiny town says they are the birth place of Texas. But believe me - this is where it really went down.

The San Jacinto Monument

As a child I learned that this was the actual place where independence was finally won. As an adult I took my husband there to prove it to him.


Sometimes it's fun to play around with spatial perception. You should see this baby big - it's pretty cool.

6 comments:

Weston Colton Photo said...

This is really, REALLY cool Whitney.

Nate said...

Very cool. Especially that composite picture.

That Joe looks like one tough dude.

Anne said...

I just moved to Texas (Houston) and am dying to see a bit of the history here. I'll have to check it out! Thanks for the post (and the cool pictures).

Whitney Hardie said...

Thanks for the comments everyone.

Anne, it's good to meet you (electronically). I hope you have a great time in Houston! There's a lot to like and a lot to laugh about.

I saw the photo on your blog of Sam Houston's statue - another classic gem. There's stuff like that all over and I love it!

Karen and Merrill said...

I love the last picture (and all the rest)!

me said...

Catching up on old blog posts...awesome. Priceless. Aesthetic. Who could ask for anything more?